Thursday, May 22, 2008

Home Alone


travelling has become second nature to me, its kind of like a migration i make 4, 5 or even 6 times a year, never in one place for longer than 3 months at a time if i am lucky, so when i was asked my friends if i was excited to be going back to berlin i had no answer because i had not thought about it (I did not start packing til the day i left) Now i am back in berlin and a strange feeling has overwhelmed me, i am back home, in my own flat, surrounded by all my favourite things, and while surrounded by friends and aquaitances last night at the bowling ally (yes i love playing with big balls every wednesday at 8pm) as i tossed my rather large 12kg green ball down the ally i fellt a sence of loss, i missed all my friends, the bearded lady, the 'Ute' muslim drag queen, big breasted Renee, My Secret Affair, My family and all of a sudden here i was in berlin a city I love Home Alone.

I think migration should be done with all your friends, we should stay in our flocks when we travel so that the places we go are more home than they should be. After 10 years of travelling alone i am finally realising that the reason not to think about it is that it hurts so much to leave behind the things we love even though its not forever its the adjustment of a new place alone, or readjusting to an old home that makes us realise that we are all alone without the ones we love.

But then this new excitment takes over, the endless variety of oppertunities, the thrill of the unknown then being Home Alone feels like a guilty pleasure, being able to break away from the routine we create for ourselves and run free, the rogue Bird abandoning the flock in search of that self satisfying adrenalin rush, what lies ahead? where will he fly? will he get shot down? will he find Eutopia? will he find the love his heart searches for? will succsess be his? for now all this Tipsy Tart knows is that when all else fails he still has his friends, wherever he may stray and wherever they may be.

Then being here, being Home Alone is not such a lonely place to be.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

I am beginning to realise more and more that distance is just perception. One day Cape Town and soon after Berlin! Strange but since you've left I've also been spending a lot of time on my own. I think I may be a bit stingy with my friendship. Consider yourself very lucky!